Tuesday, March 29, 2011

How This Crap Works

Figured it'd be best to start off with a quick description of what I'm doing here.

The idea is that if I force myself to play enough, I will eventually somehow (probably through magic) become a competent and reasonably good player. I began this experiment a bit over a week ago with some success. What I've been doing is dragging myself to my tired, haggard computer and forcing myself to play 3 (and no fewer) ladder matches per day. This gives me a chance to experience such things as getting matched up against cannon rushing tosses thrice as often, as well as measure my worth based on league and rank like a proper person should.

Phase two of this project is starting a blog in order to publicly shame myself on my poor plays, and hopefully glean a few tips from the SC2 coolpeople. This will also force me to do more in-depth analysis of what exactly I did wrong in the hopes that writing it out here will drill it hard into my head.

To give a bit of introduction, prior to SC2 I had almost 0 RTS experience as a whole, limited to a bit of dabbling in LoL (although I never played any actual real matches, scared off by tales of a community most charitably described as a bunch of douche-and-a-halfnozzles) and some Age of Empires way back in the days when Windows 98 was the cool new OS.

I started playing over Christmas (and sucked), sort of fell out of practice and started ignoring it for the longest time. Then I eventually became one of those people who wakes up at ungodly hours to watch a bunch of Korean nerds mash keyboards and mouse buttons. Having given up on such former luxuries as sleep and real people food for a few days, I decided it would be great to devote my time to trying to become a better player instead of trying not to fall face-first into a concrete walkway or trying not to fall asleep at the wheel of my car and crash into a cypress tree.

Keep in mind that part of that account is fictional as there are no cypress trees around here, and it was actually one of those massive live oaks.

So for the last bit of my introductory hoopla and bullshittin' which should probably be at the start of the post, my name is JD, I'm one o' them useless major undergrad students, I play Zerg, prior to the ladder reset I was ranked 54th or so in my Bronze league division, I suck against Protoss, I suck against other Zerg, I suck against any Terran players that have a counter for me shoving a shitload of mutas down their throat.

And this is my chronicle.

No comments:

Post a Comment